Saturday, August 6, 2011

You just don't want to know!

I was really pumped to be going to the Central Prison to do some actual dentistry after doing none the first rotation.  I happened to wear my salmon-colored scrubs and so I thought that it would be appropriate to take a 'first day' picture:
Well the first day I had orientation, I was with an NP who was super paranoid and didn't want to talk to me at all- long story short, she thought that I was a female inmate (at an all male prison).  As others on rotation at jails/prison know you just walk around the inmates which is very intimidating.  The next day, I wore red scrubs. In the prison the next door doesn't open until the one behind is closed- and on this second day my next door wasn't opening. I couldn't figure out why until I finally was let through and the officer said, 'sorry we were confused with your red... we thought you were a death-row inmate (who wear red jumpsuits) and couldn't figure out how you got out.'  So the third day I was like, forget scrubs I'll just wear black slacks and a blue dress shirt.  As I got in the elevator, someone asked me, 'new mental health doc?'  I said, 'no I'm in dental.'  apparently blue dress shirt on black slacks = mental health doctors-- AHH go figure...

Every regularly scheduled appointment is $5 which includes follow-ups, and every emergency appointment is $7.  Must be nice to get a filling for $5.  Or a root canal for $5, or 5 teeth pulled for $5, or a upper and lower denture with 6 appointments for $5- I'm just saying...

The current clinic is TINY, but there is a brand new hospital that will be up and running in October.  I got to take a tour and it is really nice- huge, like a private office.  The pay for a state employed dentist isn't the best, but the benefits are great if you stay with it long enough (just pluggin for any of you curious generalists, although I heard Tran really liked it there). 

I also took a tour of the execution area which is not currently in use as there is no death penalty right now.  It was super creepy, but something I thought was interesting is that the inmate can request any type of drugs they want before they receive their lethal injection.  So basically they can be high as a kite on anti-anxiety, for example,so they aren't even aware of what is going on... no quite the green mile.

The doctors and assistants are very helpful and informative.  Many of the officers are also very friendly and answer all my begging questions.  I have been watching tons of prison shows and just saw the movie Death Race.  I have tons of great stories (lots of broken jaws, mental health patients, learning how to use a baton) but what I have learned is that you do NOT want to know your patient's past.  It is near impossible not to pass judgment when you know the reason they are in prison, so it is best to maintain your professionalism and just not know.

One last thing for anyone interviewing soon: the doctors are interviewing for new assistants right now for the new clinic and have been very frustrated with some of the answers.  If you remember, Dr. Leonard explained to us that when interviewing someone you cannot ask personal information that could be discriminatory.  For example, they ask 'tell us about yourself'.  What not to say: 'i love people and would like to work here because i'd be good'  what to include: where you went to school, what you have done a lot of, what motivates you, etc. 

Hope everyone has a great last week.  I'll see you all soon, but not before I change my last name :)
- soon-to-be Kelly Goeckner



No comments:

Post a Comment