Sunday, June 19, 2011

Hello from Lincolnton!

Hey everyone! It has been fun to read all the post on here. I've been at Lincoln Dental Services the past 2 weeks and I wish we did a whole year of rotations instead of at school!! It feels so nice to not worry about patients and just sit down and do dentistry. The dentist here is a general dentist who only sees children under 18 with Medicaid or HealthChoice (I think that's the name of the insurance).

The first week here was pretty slow bc it was the last week of school for the little kiddies so there were alot of broken or cancelled appts. But I've learned a couple cool tricks here so far. For instance, he does palatal anesthesia by going through the distal papilla of a tooth and waiting for the lingual side to blanch - it looks ALOT more atraumatic, the kids don't even flinch-compared to the regular palatal blocks that I have put some adult patients through =/. Also, he likes to talk about dentistry. Alot. Which I didn't mind one bit bc every free moment we had (which we had lots of it last week) he basically was going through his mind and vomiting years of knowledge into my brain. haha, maybe that wasn't the best choice of words.

It's picked up alot this past week though and Ive been doing a mix of SSC,fillings,ext, and loads and loads of sealants, which he sandblasts first before using the all in one bonding system. I've made a couple of kiddies cry already - but they deserved it! jk Last week this girl started crying when I was flossing the canine in order to put on the rubber dam, so mom didn't like it and made us stop the procedure. Then she started lieing (?) to the dentist that we didn't tell her we were flossing and that if she had known we were 'just flossing' she would have let us continue. Well dang lady, you were standing right beside me holding her hand and you couldn't see the white stringy thing in my hand?? Maybe I shouldn't be too hard on her bc she probably doesn't recognize what floss looks like :). But that was my mini drama of the week.

Oh yeah, it's also super awkward that the parents (90%) of them stay in the room while I'm working. Sometimes it's helpful bc they'll tell their kid to shut up and stop whining but most of the time it's not.

Overall, it's been pretty fun here. I enjoy being close to home and hanging out with my 2 nieces which are a handful to care for! I've gotten comfortable with the staff there, we sit around and eat lunch together and they've been catching me up on the office gossip, haha.

See everyone back in 2 weeks! :)

~Lana

No comments:

Post a Comment