Friday, July 22, 2011

Kiddies, not so bad. Germs and pot, BAD!!!

Greetings Dental People!

My 3rd rotation is at Stanley County Dental. For those of you who are not familiar with this location (i.e. you are not a pedo gunner), this is an all pediatric place; as in all kids, 99% under 12 and most of them are referred to us by their dentists who refused to treat these little rascals (or, cutie patooties). Also almost all of them are Medicaid or HealthChoice patients. I must say I was dreading the fact that I have to treat kids from 8 to 5 for the next month, but honestly it is not that bad. My preceptor and the office staff are all incredibly nice and helpful.  The best part was going to OR for the first time yesterday, which I really enjoyed.  I did my first (actually first 5) SSC and pulpotomies and it’s a whole lot easier doing in on a knocked out patient.

HERE IS WHERE IT GETS INTERESTING:

On the other hand, what has been my nightmare so far is my living situation. I live in an old dormitory at Pfeiffer College in Misenheimer, NC. That’s right Misenheimer; google it. Their campus probably consists of 4 or 5 buildings and is in middle of BFE.

First day that I moved in, I was given like 3 different keys by the RA guy who took me into the apartment for a little tour. Before going in, as we were walking up the stairs he goes, “so we cleaned up a few days ago, but we were cooking last night and it may be a little messy around the apt”, then he opens the door to the apt and… O M G!!! The place looked like a tornado hit village that was rampaged by rats the next day.  I am talking about filthy dirty. Trash, dirty cloths and unidentified objects everywhere on the floor. Beer bottles on every corner. One beer bottle sitting on the table and half full was Corona but the “beer” inside was black. Later I saw a pack of chewing tobacco and found out that that “beer” is actually saliva and chewed tobacco!!! Then I see this 50 inch TV in the living room with a surround sound system (so much for no TV in the information email). According to the RA guy, my room was “specially” cleaned up for me. A bed with a dirty and stained mattress as if they snatched it from a hobo off of Franklin st. and lots of feathers (?!) on the floor and dust everywhere. Maybe my room was rented to a chicken with bladder issues, who knows? Bathroom was even more dirty. The toilet bowl looked like they poured tar into it; it had thick black stains in it. The RA guy then joyfully noted that I have a shower curtain as an addition to my 5 star luxury room that looked ok from outside but when I went to take a shower the next day and saw the inside was covered by colorful moldy spots. I think I spent  about 30 minutes Lysoling everything in the bathroom before putting my stuff on the counters.

Every night at around 10 o’clock my suitemates and a couple of others from other suites walk in with a stack of shooting-and-drug-cartel redbox movies and start watching movies until like 2-3 AM, putting their surround sound system into good use (my room is right next the living room). You may ask how they can stay up this late? The answer(s) is(are):

1-      They don’t have real classes or education for that matter that they need to worry about for the next day
2-      They drink about a 6 pack of energy drinks every night (not exaggerating)
3-      Sleep during the day…AND…
4-       I woke up the first night at like 1 AM to the sound of a guy coughing his lungs out followed by others laughing at him telling him that he can’t get high if he keeps coughing all the smoke out and that he is wasting all that pot!!!! They also have munchies and lighters all over the living room. Lovely!
5-      They probably take Adderall everyday since I heard one of them yelling at his GF telling her he needs only enough Adderall for the next few days and he can’t give her any.

Anyway, I have tried a couple of times telling them to turn the TV down after 11 PM so that we can have a symbiotic relationship for the next 4 weeks, but then they get high and so does the TV volume after an hour.

I was told by several people that I’m being “tested.” Here is my response:
I don’t know why or by whom I am being tested, but this four weeks better be deducted from the time- I’ll-be-spending-in-hell sentence.


Keyvan

p.s. I hope everybody else is enjoying their rotation J

3 comments:

  1. My wife went to school down the street at Catawba. After she graduated, there was a scuffle where some Pfieffer folks came over and shot some people.

    Don't taunt them, Captain Persia.

    Heart,
    Kev

    ReplyDelete
  2. Update:
    My housing situation has improved dramatically since last week when the misbehaving roommate moved out. Other roommates and I have cleaned up the apt and at least everyone goes to bed before midnight. Life is good again :)

    Keyvan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay... glad to hear that Keyvan :) Hope the rest of your rotation goes well.

    ReplyDelete