Thursday, May 12, 2011

Alexander County

Hey guys! I got the pleasure of reading all of the posts during lunch today. I couldn't believe I was so behind and there were so many posts already. I am in Taylorsville NC which is kinda in the "boonies" but I am living at home with my parents and drive about and hour and 10 minutes a day to get here. Dr. Bridges and the staff are the most amazing people. I fit right in with them, that makes it so easy to be here. I totally don't feel like the intern or the newcomer. It's great! They are so wonderful and treat me like I am already a dentist. Dr. Bridges is so super! She allows me to do all the restorative I am comfortable with. I have been seeing an average of about 5 patients a day with the exception of the first day...there were a lot of cancellations. (which seems to happen a lot at health depts I gather). My second day I saw 6 patients and did 17 surfaces and that was only the AM shift, the clinic was closed that afternoon. I felt like a freaking ROCK STAR! We tend to always finish up a little early in the afternoons. Dr. Bridges has this place running like clockwork. I haven't been doing anything but restorative work though (which I like), Dr. Bridges had preferred to do all the recall exams, and the assistants take care of the hygiene. I have asked to help but...they say "Nah, I got it"

Surprisingly, the kids have all be super well behaved. There has only been one kid that really got upset and little screaming. It does break my heart to see these kids come in with bombed out teeth though. They are all so pretty! Oh one cool thing that is great for pedo... they use extra short needles here for infiltrations (which you can even do for lower molars in kids because their bone is so thin there :)  That has been awesome!

Oh yeah PS I don't work on Fridays! Miss you guys! Hope everyone is enjoying their rotations!

Lackey

1 comment:

  1. I didn't know Taylorsville existed, so I've already learned something. You SHOULD feel like a rockstar...17 surfaces in the AM?? That takes HOW many appointents in dental school as a second year?? Ha! Who am I kidding, even as a 3rd year!! Kudos
    That is sad that the children have such a high caries rate...is there any oral health education for the kids?
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete