Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Hello from ECU!

Hello all, I'm completing my rotation at the ECU GPR program and honestly Keyvan and I should have just posted together since we're roommates (literally we sleep in the same room).  We're in AHEC housing with 2 other students who are the same year dental students as us at Howard University.  You know how they say we do a lot clinically at UNC? - they aren't kidding.  They don't get into clinic until the summer after their second year and they don't have nearly as many requirements as we do and the funnist part was they were complaining about how much they have to do.....  I won't include some of our conversations but let's just say I felt a lot better about my abilities after talking to them.

I've been doing the 8-5 by working with the 4 residents who are all super nice.  The coolest thing I have seen so far this week is a patient in her 20's who had facial trauma a few weeks ago and luxated #7, 8, 10 with #9 having to be extracted.  They had splinted her teeth from 2nd premolar to 2nd premolar (literally they used wire and glued it is place using composite) so she was there for a follow up appointment just to see how things were doing.  However, the space really bothered her and said her boyfriend made fun of her all the time so she wanted something put in the space.  The resident and I had a little huddle as we were kinda clueless as to what to do but I think we came up with a pretty good plan. We ended up taking a prefab temp crown, shaving it down, popping some composite to fill the inside and then gluing it to the wire with composite. Tah Dah!  I can't say she'll win Miss America but at least she can't whistle through her teeth anymore! 

-Vincent

1 comment: