Wednesday, May 11, 2011

UNC Hospital ROCKS!!!

Hello fellow classmates!  Elise, thank you so much for starting this blog.  I've enjoyed reading about everyone's adventures.  Melissa--I died laughing reading your comments and found it necessary to share it with the residents in the room afterwards.  They must have thought I was crazy when I busted out laughing all the sudden.

Today is my third day here at the UNC hospital. 

The first day was a little slow...Mackenzie and I took over the hygienist's schedule since he was out sick.  We split the patent's 50/50 (most of whom did not show up).  Many of the patients we see at the hospital are very ill and have either had cancer (with removal of areas in the head and neck), have been diagnosed with blood illnesses, HIV, Hepatitis, etc.  We are learning how to treat these patients and the proper precautions to take based on the illnesses that they have. 

On my second day, I was able to do a full thickness periosteal flap, 4 extractions, an alveoplasty, and learned a new suturing technique.  SO FUN!!  Surgery is my new favorite obsession.  Everything went smoothly except toward the end.....the attendee had decided to help me "snip" ,with rongeurs, off part of the bone off and it went flying across the room.  This one have not been a big deal, but the daughter of the woman being treated was sitting in the corner and it nearly hit her in the face.  Ooooops!!! Guess this is why people shouldn't be sitting in the treatment room if they aren't assisting with the treatment. 

I'll update with some pictures when I get home, but for now I hope everyone is having as fun!!
-Jessica

1 comment:

  1. OMG!I can just imagine that! I wonder what the daughter thought and if she noticed?? Congrats on the surgical victories! You'll have to tell us about this new suturing technique!

    ReplyDelete