Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Fuhgeddaboutit

Greetings from the Big Apple!

I started my rotation yesterday at St. Luke's-Roosevelt Hospital in NYC, and it's been going good so far. It's interesting to see how things are run outside of UNC, and lots of procedures done are considered "hero-dontics" as the attending described it. But it seems like UNC students have a good reputation here compared to some other dental students who also come on this rotation who "barely know how to diagnose caries". I was so proud to be a UNC dental student :)
On Tuesdays we see kids only and on Thursday I will be observing at the OMFS department. We'll see how that goes.
Things I am grateful for at UNC that St. Luke's doesn't have: digital radiographs, 'big' operatories, a big selection of burs and, believe it or not, EPR. Paper charts are not fun!
Here's a photo of the sign to the entrance of the hospital dental clinic. Even though it says "Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery" the actual OMFS department is elsewhere. Don't ask.

Sabine

2 comments:

  1. Haha - we all know you're secretly doing an OMFS rotation you surgery gunner you :)
    Glad you're having a good time and you made it up there safe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sabine, when you told me today that they have to hand mix their heavy and light body..I shuddered at the thought! We are very spoiled at UNC I guess. Please post pictures of any cool dental stuff...and NY food (wait did I greedily digress??) oOPS!!

    Have fun in the big apple...Grp A and D..are having fun in the big....nuthing LOL

    ReplyDelete