Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Public Health yeah-Baby!

I'm alive and well here in Asheville living in AHEC housing just down the street from the Western Carolina Community Health Center. I tell you what, Dental Public Health is a great place for me to be jumping in. It is really crazy being called into a room for a pre-diagnosed lesion, and told to go. I would be placing all of the fillings if they only came in one at a time, as they are happy to let me work!
I am also addressed as "Doctor Hoyle" and they won't quit it...better not get used to it :)
The docs are happy to have me here, as I lighten the load; however, I have just been seeing ~ 6 patients/day and observing endo, Pedo N2O, and patient interactions. I have been hesitant to really dive in on treatment planning sessions as I was told I am more likely to overdiagnose caries (true, but also a little sketchy) so I just make my preceptor come over whenever I have a question. Good times so far!
Stephen Hoyle

2 comments:

  1. Hey Stephen,
    Glad to hear you are doing well. Where is your AHEC housing? Your site is only 9 mins from where I live. I'm at the Beverly Condos.
    Hoda

    ReplyDelete
  2. 6 patients a day is so much more fun than 2/day like we have at dental school! I'm glad your rotation is working out well! Pictures please :0)

    ReplyDelete